Sunday, 2 December 2012

So the 30th of November has passed, and I realised that I have actually not touched my writing in... quite awhile. I've just been too preoccupied. But I did check how many words I managed to write. In total, I had completed 14,291 words.

What do I think of this? Nothing much. It's far from half the 50,000 word goal. But along the way I think I have learned some valuable lessons. Here's three that I can think of now.

Lesson 1: 50,000 words is a lot of words
At the beginning, I really thought that 50,000 wasn't too much and that I would easily pass the mark. But of course, this is not the case, proven evidently by my failure. And writing 50,000 words is no easy feat- there's a lot of planning that goes into it.

Lesson 2: Authors deserve so much praise
I read somewhere once that authors should never abandon their day job, until they are a John Grisham or J.K Rowling and could be assured of an income. Basically, 90% of authors should keep their day jobs. Now I find this intriguing because since I have my own life, I had a 'day job' as well, and I found it excruciating having to think about writing as well, particularly according to a schedule. I now have a lot of respect for these people. I mean, they come home from a stressful day at work and sit down and write. That's amazing. And for established authors, doing it every day is really impressive too.

Lesson 3: I'm not as disciplined as I thought
Yes, I admit it- there were times when I could've opened the story and start writing, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it because I either wasn't feeling it or was distracted. This is probably a fault of mine that I should seriously change if I want to get a novel near publication.
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

1 comments